Friday, April 12, 2013

Hunger Games yarn club spoilers!


Yep, I got my first shipment in the Hunger Games yarn club from Friday Studios today, but I think I'll start with some knitting instead. I don't want the photo of the yarn to be the one that shows up in the Blogger list for anyone who hasn't gotten the yarn yet!

I think I told you that I have Thursday, Friday and next Monday off from work, and yesterday I spent a lot of time cleaning out our storage shed. Not much fun, but very needed! Today I drove to the recycling plant with all the stuff that I cleaned out, and I had planned on cleaning out the garage today too, but it's sleeting and freezing outside. I just couldn't stand staying outside in the freezing winds, so I decided to wait for better weather. Hopefully tomorrow!

So, I've also been knitting a lot these past two days. I knit a little bit on the Glacier gloves, and I have about half of the second cuff done.


I think I'll knit on these for the rest of the day today, as I really want to finish them. They are turning out very pretty, and as the weather took a turn for the worse I think I might actually get some use out of them this winter too. I still have more than half the skein left, plus the other one that I haven't even started on yet, so I think I'll make some socks later on. That won't be for this KAL though, I have too much other stuff I want to knit first.

I've also made lots of progress on the Scylla socks, and I adore these!


I love how the pattern is making the red slipped stitches cross the white stripe on every stripe repeat, especially since it is totally by coincidence! The yarn is still amazing, and I can't wait to wear them. These will be my May socks for the Self Striping KAL, so I have plenty of time to finish them, but I'm sure it won't take me that long. I'm making an afterthought heel on these, to keep the striping continuous, as opposed to the pattern that has a heel flap design.

The project I've been working most on, however, is the Mandala II shawl.


I'm using MadelineTosh Tosh lace yarn, in the colourway Rose, and it's turning out so pretty. I know that what you're seeing in the photo looks like a bunch of wet noodles, but it will be very nice once I block it. I'm making it a little larger than called for, so I've made an extra repeat of chart 2 so far. I just started chart 3, and if I finish it before I run out of yarn I might make an extra repeat of that too (as I have two whole skeins to play with).

Ok, that was the knitting. Now to the club yarn! The yarn is Friday Studios Monday Base (the same as I'm using for the Scylla socks), so I already knew I would love that. I am completely smitten with the colour too, which is called Capitol Couture:


It is based on all the insane colours that the people of the Capitol wear, and I think Frida has captured that perfectly! It is so bright it almost seems to glow in the dark, and it will make some crazy socks! The yarn came with a bag of tea and a set of amazing mockingjay stitchmarkers:


Aren't they adorable?! I wonder if she's made them herself? I'll have to ask her on plurk. Anyway, I am very satisfied with my first shipment in the club, and I love that it's a Swedish dyer so I get the yarn early!

/ Jenny

1 comment:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I have not gotten mine yet...I wonder how long the shipping will take..I'm on the east coast of the US....can't wait to see the colors in person..they don't look like my usual colors, but as you said..they will make crazy socks...maybe we can do the same pattern?

I love your socks!!!!!