Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm finally back!


Yes, I'm finally back in Linköping again. However, my stomach seems to have broken completely, as it's still not functioning properly. Everything I eat just passes right through me, and today I've finally seen a physician about it. They took a lot of blood tests, and I'm leaving other tests (let's just leave it at that, all right :) tomorrow as well. I just hope they can find out what's wrong with me! I'm a bit worried that it might be lactose intolerance, and I'm really not psyched about having that along with my gluten intolerance. I won't be able to eat anything! We're actually staying off lactose products for a while now (as of yesterday, or so), to see if it makes any difference.

Anyhow, my trip to Borås turned out to be very uneventful, as I've been feeling queasy almost all the time. I managed to see two of my very good friends from home, and I also managed a super-fast yarn-shopping hour with my mother. My grandmother recently got some help in caring for my very sick uncle with Down's syndrome, so they've finally got a personal assistant, and my grandmother FINALLY gets payed for all the hours she puts in as well. I can't believe that she hasn't gotten this earlier, as my uncle has been more or less bed-bound for the past two years. But anyway, now she finally has some money, and she actually got some retroactive pay as well, so she really wanted to give me and my sister some spending money (we're her only grandchildren, so she really likes to spoil us :). 

So this past Saturday me and my mother looked up the two yarn shops in Borås, and I actually spent very wisely! I've been planning to knit the Owls sweater for quite some time, and I really want to make it in Rowan Cocoon yarn. So I bought six skeins of this wonderfully soft yarn, in a lovely purple-greyish colour. I would love to show it to you, but unfortunately I can't find my camera right now! I'm thinking I might have left it in Borås... So you'll just have to wait! I also bought some purple Drops Alpaca yarn that I'll eventually turn into a Coraline cardigan as well. These are both items that I've been wanting to knit for quite some time, so I think I spent my money very wisely!

And of course I couldn't help myself from buying some lace yarn as well :). I found some wonderful 100 % single-ply wool from Ullcentrum on Öland (a Swedsih island on the east coast), one skein of 110 g in a very beautiful blue-turqoise colour, and one skein of 160 g in pitch black. Both these skeins have a lot of lanolin oil left in them, so I think I might want to rince them some before I knit with them. I'm dying to show you pictures of this, but you'll just have to wait until I get my camera back (my mother is going to look for it tonight after work).

Yesterday I spent the final money from grandmother (once again, what do you mean I might want to save some of it?!), and bought some books online. And yes, they're knitting books, why do you even ask ;). I'll tell you about them when they arrive. I actually picked up one book today too, in the mail, that I ordered a while ago. It is the Knitted Lace of Estonia, by Nancy Bush. This is a really beautiful book, filled with gorgeous lace patterns and designs. I think I want to make the whole book some day! This I actually have a photo of, whic I've borrowed from AdLibris, the swedish book site.


Ok, now I'm going to see if I can find something to eat for lunch, that will preferably stay in! I'll be back later this week with some actual knitting updates!

/ Jenny

4 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

YAY! Jenny's Back! I've missed you! I'm sorry to hear about your tummy trouble and unfortunately I know exactly how you feel! I've never been able to determine what it is that makes things pass through my system quite so quickly, but it's so not pleasant. I hope the doctor's have a diagnosis for you. You ARE taking your vitamins, aren't you?? :)

Unknown said...

I hope the doctors can figure out soon what is wrong with you. I hope the stomach bug doesnt interfere too much with knitting and spinning.

I want that book so bad too :)

Varkenoch said...

Fina, jag hoppas att magen skärper till sig och att problemet visar sig vara lättfixat! Vill bara säga att om det är laktosintolerans så visst är det lite knepigt, men inte så farligt ändå... Utbudet av laktosfria produkter har ökat enormt senaste åren, i butik såväl som på restauranger och fik, så det behöver inte bli särskilt jobbigt. Många tankar till dig iaf!

Virginia G said...

I'm glad you're back! I hope that you start feeling better soon. Or at least you and the doctors figure out what might be ailing you.

Very exciting about the yarn.