Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Sad times at the house of ours


On Thursday evening last week, Thomas' father called to tell us that Thomas' grandmother had had a stroke and was unconscious at the hospital in Worksop, England, where she lives. The weekend was spent discussing whether we should fly over there immediately, but we eventually decided to wait and see if she would wake up. Sadly, she didn't but died early Monday morning. She was a great little lady with lots of love and humour, and she will be very missed. Thomas is just glad that he and his brothers went there this past May to celebrate her 80th birthday, and it was a great time (remember, I knitted a pink shawl for her?). The funeral will be held on September 10th, and hopefully I can get time off so we can fly over there the both of us.



It's hard to make a transition from such sad news into yarn and knitting, but I'm doing it anyway. Last week I got the final shipment of the Nyansera summer yarn club, and it was a skein of gorgeous fingering weight yarn. It's called Nyansera Komplett, and is 100 % superwash merino (400 m/100 g). The colourway is called Stone Washed Jeans, and you can see why:


I love it, it is very similar in quality to Colinette Jitterbug, and I'm planning on making myself a pair of mittens from them.

On Sunday there was a crafts day in Old Linköping, and I went for a short while to have a look. I came home with some home-made marmalade, some locally produced goat cheese (boy is that delicious!) and of course two skeins of gorgeous lace yarn. I just can't seem to stop buying yarn! These skeins are hand dyed by the swedish seller Garnpaletten, and all her yarns are just to die for! The colourway is called Kattegatt (that's the name of the ocean just north of Denmark), it's 100 % swedish wool, and it's 600 m/100 g.

I knitted a Candle Flame shawl form this yarn before, in the colourway Pink Play, so I know that it knits up beautifully. I gave that shawl to my own grandmother, who loved it, and it will be nice to get to knit with this yarn again. 


I actually have three skeins that I bought last year too, in the colourway Lime, and this yarn is supposed to become the Heere Be Dragone shawl eventually.


I have also started work at the new unit, which is located about 4 minutes from our apartment. I have only been there Monday and Tuesday so far, and today my stomach exploded again so I had to stay at home. Man, I really really hate my stomach issues! On Friday I'm going back to the gastroenterology department to get some coaching, but I got my test results back yesterday in a mail. All my tests are normal and healthy! I just wanted to cry when I saw this, as there is definitely SOMETHING wrong! But hopefully they'll have some more tests lined up for me. At this point I would almost consider a full stomach transplant (yes, I know that's not possible, but a girl can dream, right?). It wouldn't be so bad if I could just manage work!

As far as my knitting goes, I'm making some progress on the tunic dress, but it's not much to show yet as it's just a lot of stockinette scrunched up on a small needle. But I have also picked up the India Stole again, and I'm almost finished with the first half! I've started the decreases for the tip, so the rest of this half should go pretty fast as the rows get shorter and shorter. Maybe I can even finish it in September (knock on wood)?

Ok, now I'm going to have a lie-down, as my head is really spinning today. Friday can not come fast enough!

/ Jenny

2 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Thomas's grandmother. :( I know when my grandma passed I took solace that at least it was quick and there wasn't much pain involved. Was he close with her?

Also, as you said about transitions... the yarns are beautiful and I can't wait to see your knitting. Maybe some skype this weekend? :)

Virginia G said...

I'm very sorry to hear about Thomas' granny. Lots of love to you all.

And that sucks about your tummy. Bleh. Lots of sympathy from me in that field.