Sunday, May 30, 2010

(Summer) Home Owners!


Yep, we went and looked at the cabin yesterday. And it is the cutest thing ever! There are some things that needs to be feixed, like a small leakage in the roof, but otherwise it is in great shape. So we have now decided to buy a summer house!


It was built in the 1800's, and has no water or electricity. The current owners have put up two solar power cells on the roof, that can power two reading lights and a small TV, but that's it. It's got a very primitive outhouse toilet, and a pretty big barn that can be used for storage for now. The barn is pretty run down, but it could be fixed up to be used as extra living space in the future. 

The kitchen and one living room in the house are pretty small, but very cozy. The flooring is all original wood, and pretty worn down, but oh so cottage-y. We need to fix up the chimney some, as it is currently leaking smoke inside the house, and we want to change the wall papers and such. But nothing seems to crave any major renovations.

Living room

Other side of Living Room

Wood Stove

So now we just need to have a talk with our bank and see if we can get a loan! We're pretty darned excited about this! Hopefully we can get ownership rather quickly, so we can start fixing it up during the summer.

In fiber-related news, I forgot to show you yesterday that me and my sister went fabric-shopping at Ikea the other day. She's starting to get a pretty sizeable fabric stash by now! Anyhow, these are the three fabrics that went home with us:

Pale flowers

Dark Flowers

Checkers

My sister is getting her teacher degree this coming week, so after that she will probably have at least some spare time. Then there will be lots of sewing done!

And as I had to cancel the knit night yesterday, I've knitted a lot on my own instead. I'm really starting to make headway on the Owls sweater! It's knitted on big needles (7 and 8 mm) in chunky yarn (Rowan cocoon), so it seems to fly off the needles!


Last night I also knitted a lot on the Guinevere gloves, and these babies are going to be soooo pretty! I love working with the yarn (KnitPicks Stroll), and the pattern is great and really easy to follow. I'm including three pictures to show you how the construction is made, it's really different from any other gloves I've seen!

First knitted part: Thumb and across the hand

Second knitted part: Pick up stitches and knit the fingers

Third knitted part: Pick up stitches and knit the cuff

I haven't touched the Kai-Mei socks in a while, but I thought I would show you how far I've gotten anyway. I'm just about to start the heel flap, and the patterning is starting once the heel is turned too.


I've worked some on the Haruni today. The weather has been pretty ok today, so me and Thomas sat outside in the garden for almost two hours, and I knitted while he watched Hobbe. Hobbe is really an indoors cat, but when it's warm outside he likes to come outside in the garden for a while. He refuses to wear a leash, so he only gets to go outside when one of us are outside and can watch him. He's the scardest cat in the world, so if something sounds a bit too loud for him, he just runs inside :) Anyway, the shawl is coming along nicely. I've finsihed 15 stems on each side of the middle, but I think I want to make 20 or so. I haven't weighed the yarn yet, so I don't know how much I have left of the first skein, but I'm planning on using at least 1.5 skeins of the yarn (KnitPicks Shadow). Maybe even two whole skeins.


Finally, I though I would tell you about a crash course in creativity I'm planning on participating in. Maegan who writes the blog Life Set to Words, is hosting a Creativity Boot Camp that starts on June 6th and ends on June 18th. There will be exercises every day to take part in, to challange your creativity. You can choose which creative media you want to work with (I think Maegan herself is a photographer), and it's completely free. And if you feel that two weeks in a row is a bit much, you can always just read the blog and do the exercises at your own pace. I think it sounds like so much fun! I really need a creative kick in the but, as I feel like I'm sort of loosing a bit of my knitting mojo now that I work so much.


If you feel like participating, just leave a comment on the Creativity Boot Camp blog, and you'll be enlisted!

/ Jenny

6 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Wow! The cabin looks ADORABLE! Will it be available for renting to foreigners? Maybe just for a week or two? ;)

kelly said...

that summer house is the sweetest thing, i would love a project like that, how lovely, good luck with it all,

Allison said...

I'm SO jealous of your cabin! That is toooooo cute. And you've got quite a lot of projects going on too! Love the gloves...those are going to be so pretty!

Allison said...

I'd be excited too about that cozy looking cabin! You are such a prolific knitter, I can't see why you would need a boost in creativity.

Unknown said...

The cottage looks so inviting!!! So lovely! Good Luck at the bank!

Kitty said...

If you buy the cottage will you please please invite me over for tea sometime?! It's just about the cutest thing EVER! Love love love!