Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ok knitters, I need your help!


I've been home from work for two days now with a really nasty cold, and my plan was that I at least would be able to knit. I've been almost too tired to do so though, and now that I've finally begun the first sleeve on my Austin Hoodie, I find myself in a conundrum. The pattern tells me to pick up stitches in the arm holes to make set-in sleeves, which is usually fine. This time however, it looks really bad! The picked up stitches look really wonky, and I think my edge stitches on the arm hole were way too loose. Tell me, doesn't this look weird?




So now I'm thinking that I might be wasting this amazing yarn on a cardigan that I won't be using due to wonky sleeves! Or do you think I can fix it afterwards, by blocking and doing some creative stitching on the inside? The yarn is 100 % alpaca from Chili Gredelin, so it is hand dyed and one of a kind. I just don't want it to go to waste! Tell me what you think I should do: Should I frog the whole thing and make something else with the yarn? Or should I keep trucking on?

This past weekend I went home to see my parents for a couple of days, which was nice and relaxing. My mother has bought a very yellow winter jacket, so she asked me if I could make her a yellow cowl to match it. My stash is sadly lacking in yellow yarn, so I had to do some yarn shopping. I settled on a skein of Malabrigo Worsted, in the colourway Cadmium:


It's 100 % Merino wool, and soft as butter, just like all other Malabrigo yarns I've felt so far. I'm going to make her a Garland Cowl, which I hope will look good. I'm also going to make her a pair of mittens, and for them to match I had to buy a skein of fingering yarn in yellow. I chose Cascade 220 Fingering, which is 100 % wool, in the colourway Goldenrod:


I think I'll pair it with some KnitPicks Palette yarn in black, and make some colourwork gloves. I'll have to ask her though if she prefers mittens or gloves!

I also got myself a skein of white sock yarn, Cascade Heritage (75 % wool/25 % nylon), in colourway Snow, that I'll use for colourwork socks eventually:


Not much to see with a skein of white yarn, but this yarn has perfect stitch definition!

Ok, now I think I'm going to go lie down for a bit, before it's actually time for bed. Please let    me know what you think I should do with the cardigan!

/ Jenny

2 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

yeah I gotta say... it looks weird. I think I'd like to see a picture of the entire sweater before I weigh in though. Is the rest of it cool enough to make up for it? Would it be a neat vest? :)

Unknown said...

Hmm i have had those wonky pickups on socks ... what if you knit them from the back instead of normal... that make sthem a bit tighter and reduces the "holes" they make...

Leander