Thursday, March 31, 2011

What happened to my green cardigan?


Today is the fourth day in Knitting and Crochet Blog Week! I'm actually kind of impressed by myself, that I've had the energy to blog every day after work this week. That doesn't happen often! 


Today's topic: "Where are they now? Whatever happened to your __________? Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity."

Since I'm a somewhat selfish knitter, I mostly knit for myself. I could of course talk about the very cute little sweater that I knitted for Gizmo, our previous cat. He was a Devon Rex breed, which has very short and curly fur, so he got cold if he went outside in the Autumn or spring. He accepted the sweater, and during his last month he wore it a lot. We actually chose to have him cremated in his sweater, so he won't be cold in kitty heaven. 


But I think this story is a bit depressing (I'm almost crying writing it, I still miss my little angel very much), so I think I'll talk about a completely different project instead. In October 2009 I cast on for a cardigan knitted from the top down. It was based on a description that can be found in swedish on Tant Kofta's blog, and you can use any weight of yarn (you just count your gauge and calculate the pattern from that). The cardigan was finished in January 2010, and really didn't fit me very well. I don't even have a photo of me wearing it!


The cardigan ended up in the closet, and I never wore it. Then in September last year I stopped taking my anti-depressant pills, and consequently lost the weight that they had put on me. So in January some time I decided to try the cardigan on again, to see if it would fit the smaller me. It absolutely did not, so I decided to frog it to salvage the yarn at least. And now it has become the Asteria Cardigan instead!


This one fits me so much better, and obviously I'm no good without a clear pattern to follow. I'm very happy with my decision to frog the first cardigan, as the new one is one I actually wear a lot!

/ Jenny

No comments: