Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Organisational skills galore


Don't you just love the word "galore"? I think it's one of my favourites in the english language :)

Anyway, onwards with Knitting and Crochet Blog week!


Today's topic is the following: "Tidy mind, tidy stitches: How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry."

Ok, I guess I'm a bit anal in my organisation of knitting stuff. Sorting stuff has always been something that I've been into, and keeping my knitting in order takes priority for me. I hate having stuff all over the place! Next to the couch, where I usually sit and knit, I keep a bag that my sister sewed for me last Christmas:


This one is filled with my knitting stuff. All my needles and accessories, and some yarn that will be used in my current projects. I keep my needles pretty organized in here too. Here's where I keep all my KnitPicks Harmony interchangable needles (and my glove needles too):



It's a fabric roll that my sister has also made for me (I have the knitterly skills, she has the sewing skills). It just holds the needle ends, and not the cables, but that's ok. I love the fabric with the little faces on! The cables, and other stuff that I regularly use, I keep in this plastic bag:



It holds some of the cables, my cabeling needles, my stitch holders, measuring tape, and all my fixed circular Harmony needles from KnitPicks (can you tell I'm a bit of a fan of these needles?). It also usually holds my tiny bag for stitch markers:



And my tiny bag for buttons (This one I got from a knitter friend, Margot, who has now moved to the States):


I took both of the tiny bags out of the plastic bag to better show you the contents. The bag also holds scissors, pens, darning needles and needle threaders and point protectors.

The big bag next to the couch also holds my fabric roll that I store my bigger sized Harmony DPN's in:



This one is made of silk, and I got it from wonderful Ulrika for my 30th birthday this past spring. I LOVE this one, the needles fit right in, and I have the exact right number of sizes to fit in the roll. Perfect!

My smaller Harmony DPN's are still stored in the plastic holder they came in, but I think I will ask my sister if she can't sew a new holder for me for these as well. I like having the needles in pretty packages!


Finally, I have a pencil case that my sister also got me for my birthday last year, that I use for my KnitPicks Zephyr interchangable needles, and some other stuff:




This case is so cute! It also holds all of my crochet hooks and all of my shawl needles. Do you see the two wooden ones next to the black with mother-of-pearl head? The two who look kind of similar? I bought both of those in Roanoke, Virginia, on our trip last week, for $6.50 total! More on that in my next travel post!

I also try to keep my knitting fairly organized as well. Each project has it's own knitting bag. Right now I seem to have five projects on the needles. First up are the Terrebonne socks from the collection of 10 patterns, living in a striped Ikea bag:




Then there's the Devon socks, residing in a Roseknits Knitting bag:




And then there's the St James sweater, also living in a Roseknits bag:




My Panama shawl, taking up space in a triangular bag that my sister sewed for me:




And finally, a pair of mittens that I'm making for Thomas, in a bag I bought at a crafts fair here in Linköping last year. 




The little figure on the front is a swedish comics character called Bamse. He eats Dunderhonung (which I guess ca translate inte super-honey) to become the strongest person in the world. His best friends are the inventor turtle Skalman (Shellman) and the nervous rabbit Lille Skutt (Little hop). And I seem to have veered off the subject...


Anyway, I usually bring two different projects to work with me (right now usually the Terebonne socks and the St James sweater), and the rest of the project bags get to rest in a bigger bag that my sister also sewed for me.




This bag also sits next to the couch, right next to the other bag holding my knitterly stuff.


I also love to keep my yarn organized! During last autumn I sorted all of it into these boxes that I keep in the bookshelf behind the couch:




I have a total of 14 boxes, each labelled with a number. And on Ravelry (yes, I have ALL my yarn on Ravelry) I have made a note on all my skeins which box they live in! This makes it very easy to find them, and I love it. The boxes are roughly sorted by weight of yarn, but sometimes it was also a question of space. I wish I had the space for all of the new yarn I bought on the trip in these boxes too, but they are all full! Right now I have no idea where to put all of it, but I'll figure it out! 


Ok, now you see how obsessed with sorting stuff I am! This turned out to be a really long post, I hope you made it through all of it! See you tomorrow for a new topic :)


/ Jenny

No comments: