Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New yarn and some knitting non-progress


I'll start with the fun stuff. I got yarn in the mail both yesterday and today! Yesterday after work I picked up my Wollmeise yarn from the post office. I got three skeins of DK (100 % superwash merino, 428 m/200 g), in the new colourway Zartbitter (which means bitter sweet), which I believed to be a reddish brown. My three skeins, however, are just cocoa brown:


They are a bit darker than the photo shows, and I think I kind of like them anyway, but the colour I had seen on the Ravelry forums was prettier. I think these will mature in the stash for a while, to see if they grow on me. Otherwise I think I might sell them.

Then today I got another package in the mail, the June shipment in the 7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon sock club. The yarn is The Knitting Goddess 4-ply Merino Nylon sock yarn (75 % superwash merino/25 % nylon, 424 m/100 g), and the colourway is called Looking Down.


I have no idea yet which movie this is from, but I LOVE the colour! It is such a pretty, dusky rose, and by far my favourite so far in the club. I can't wait for the pattern, to find out where the inspiration came from. Hopefully that will be stated in this pattern, as the last one didn't say which movie it was from (It was from Alice in Wonderland, but I had to google it to find out).

I'm almost finished with my first Pikmin! I only have three flower petals and two ears to finish, and hopefully I can manage that this weekend. I almost got the whole flower done this past weekend, but my hands were hurting too much. It is looking pretty cute so far though. I haven't gotten any new photos, as I haven't sewn on the new pieces yet.

I almost had the first sleeve finished on the Parcel sweater too, when I finally tried it on. It turns out that the shoulder is way too wide or me, so the sleeve cap looked really weird. The arm hole was also too long, so I decided to rip most of it out. I ended up ripping it out all the way down to the waist increases, as it was a little bit puffy in the chest area too. I made two less increases, and now I'm almost ready to divide for the sleeves again. It really sucks to have to rip that much out, as I felt I was almost on the last stretch, but I want the sweater to be wearable. Hopefully I can still finish it soon!

Other than that I'm knitting along on the Mind the Gap socks, and I've almost finished the leg part of the second sock. I think I'll probably finish those this month too. I haven't gotten any new photos of them though (or of the Parcel sweater), but you know what the first one looked like. I'm making the stripes matching on the two socks, so this one is more or less identical to the first one.

Friday is Midsummer's Eve here in Sweden, and we get the day off work. My mother-in-law and possibly some of my brothers-in-law are maybe coming to visit for the weekend, they haven't decided yet. We plan on making some barbecue, have pickled herring (which is traditional Swedish midsummer food) and just relax. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with us too, so we can sit outside. It's supposed to rain though, which it seems to do almost every Midsummer's Eve. Last year the rain didn't start until late in the evening, so we got to have dinner outside at least. As we had over 30 guests last year, that was very fortunate!

Ok, time for some knitting. I think I'll work on the sweater, just to make some recovery on it!

/ Jenny

No comments: